Today’s tutorial will be a macrame belt. Bronze Ringer.
- 3 1/2 mm braided macrame cord (51-61 yards*)
- one 2 1/4″ welded ring (treated not raw metal)
- macrame board or covered ceiling tile
- tape measure, ruler or yardstick
Directions to make belt.
Step 1. Cut twelve 5 yard cords and one 1 yard cord.
Step 2. Using the one yard cord, cover 2 1/4″ ring with continuous half hitches. Trim the excess cord when finished.
Step 3. Find the centers of six 5 yard cords and mount to one side of the covered ring using Reverse Lark’s Head knots. (Set the other six 5 yards cords aside for later.)
Step 4. Number cords 1-12.
Row 1. Tie Square Knots (SK) with cords 1-4, 5-8 and 9-12. (Unless noted otherwise, you will always tie a square knot with 2 filler cords. ) Tie the knots close to the ring.
Row 2. Tie SK’s with cords 3-6 and 7-10.
Row 3. Tie a SK Sinnet of 3 SK’s with cords 1-4, 5-8 and 9-12. A sinnet is a vertical row of knots, one tied right under the next.
Row 4. Tie SK’s with cords 3-6 and 7-10.
Row 5. Tie SK’s with cords 1-4, 5-8 and 9-12.
Row 6. Tie SK’s with cords 3-6 and 7-10.
Repeat Rows 3 through 6 seven times.
Step 5. To finish off this side of the belt…
Tie a SK Sinnet of 3 SK’s with cords 1-4, 5-8 and 9-12.
Tie 3 large square knots using the two outer end cords on both sides as tying cords and the 8 cords in the middle as filler cords.
Step 6. The Tail. Determine how long you wish the tail to be and trim cords to that length. Tie an overhand knot at the end of each cord. Cut cord close to the overhand knot. Using a match or lighter, melt cord lightly to keep from fraying. Don’t hold fire too long to the cord. You don’t want to burn it.
Step 7. Repeat Steps 3 through 6 for the opposite side of the belt.
Congratulations!! You are done and ready to wear your belt. You can insert whatever you wish inside the ring opening, such as the wooden flower, as I did. Or leave the opening plain. This belt is pretty tied to the side or tied with the ring in the front.
* Note: Length of cord to use depends on your waist size and how long you want belt to be. This belt in the tutorial measures 41″ at the point it ties around the waist. The tails measures 17″. So cut shorter cords if you want a smaller belt and eliminate a few of the “repeat” sections in Step 4.