Umbrella Blocks: I Think I Need More Borders


My four purple umbrella blocks are finished.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

There are three borders.

  • strip of 1 1/2″ squares
  • 2″ purple border
  • 3″ purple/white border

The blocks are up on my design wall (think closet doors, 😀 ), pinned to a small piece of purple fabric.

All have the same dimensions. 19 1/2″ by 21 1/2″. I have never measured anything as much as I measured these. Every step of the way. I didn’t want to make the mistake of over trimming only to have to retrim the others. So slow going it was.

Now… what to do? Add more borders? Add sashing?

I think I will add a border of white and then a second dark purple border or sashing. I have enough of the purple/white border fabric for two more umbrella blocks. That will move the size from wall hanging to lap quilt.

For the back, I was thinking of one GIANT umbrella. Wonder how that would look.

One thing I have to revisit is how I attached the rick-rack. I am going to go back over the handles with handstitching. Just to make sure it doesn’t curl when washed. So I will do that before the sandwich stage.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Hubby came into the room as I was taking photos. He said, “that is pretty, Donna.”

So with that… the Stamp of Hubby Approval… off I go to try to make it even prettier. 😀

Have a safe 4th of July!! Enjoy your holiday.


Linking to…

http://www.sew-much-ado.com/2012/07/we-did-it-wednesday.html

I Worked On My Umbrella Blocks Today


Remember these? I made a few. Actually I made six. 4 purple and 2 green.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

And won a few for Block Lotto from my quilt group. Back in April.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

This layout has been up on my design wall for two months. My four purple ones.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I wanted to work on this project in May. It was on my MAY Small Projects To-Do List and really felt bad that I didn’t get to it. And then in June, it still never made it to the top of the list. So… I decided the first thing I worked on in July would be my umbrella blocks.

The layout has changed slightly. I am using dark purple “sooner” for one of the borders.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The little 1 1/2″ squares were already cut. They originally were going to be used for doll quilts but I ran out of doll steam.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The colors were perfect for the purple umbrella blocks, so it didn’t make sense not to use them. The little squares at the end of the rows kind of got chopped off but I wasn’t going to recut them to make them uniform across the row. Just made them work. As is. Chopped off. 😀

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The purple and white diagonal lines fabric were Fat Quarters. Only had four of them so probably four umbrella blocks will be as large as I can make this quilt, maybe six. I will have to see how far I can stretch it. I checked JoAnn’s today to see if they still had the FQ’s. Nope. All gone.

This is the size of the block for now. 19 1/2″ by 21 1/2″.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I have two blocks finished and am working on the 3rd.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I’ll get a photo of them up on my design wall once I get the 4th one finished. Then I will decide if I want more borders. 😀

Once these four have been quilted, I will work on putting the other umbrella blocks into a quilt. I have a few ideas. We shall see…