Mickey Finish Friday


Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I started these Mickey Mouse pillow covers last year. There were four. I only finished one. These three were left. Sitting. Waiting. They were nagging at me so I decided to work on them. Actually I kept thinking about the first one and how it turned out. I loved it. And so did the little girl whose parents bought it for her at my 2011 December winter craft show.

This is how the one that sold looked.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Kind of made me think I should have finished the others. Maybe they all would have sold. 😀

Which brings me to today’s Finish Friday. I finished one pillow cover two days ago. It didn’t take long since the front was already quilted.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Just needed to decide on a closure. I decided to add a zipper. Along the bottom. The 1st one I made had a fold-over envelope back but took longer to make. I thought putting in a zipper would be easier. Quicker. Not!! It took about the same amount of time. And I was only able to round the two top corners. Without it looking all funny.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I finished another pillow cover last night. This one… back to an envelope back and four rounded corners.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

There is one more pillow cover ready to be quilted. I will do an envelope back for that one too. Though the zipper looks nice and all, the fold-over back just looks more polished, huggable.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com


The pillow forms were recycled. Made from batting scraps. I save all batting scraps, large and small in a plastic bag.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

When the bag starts to overflow, I make pillow forms in different sizes. They work great for my photo ops.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Feels really good to finish up something that has been patiently waiting for some sewing love. Yay!!

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I am going to work on the third one today and try to finish it up too. If I do, I’ll update this post.


Linking to Crazymomquilts for Finish Friday. Go check them all out. Lots of pretties.

http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2012/01/finish-it-up-friday-week-12.html

Hanging With Barbie, 22″ Pillow

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Whew!! Glad I am finally finished.

It’s been quite a ride. The sides gave me FITS. Many Back-to-Square ones. But it looks like the vision I had before I started.

And speaking of starting…..

I have been obsessed with using up my Barbie fabric. So I decided to make a pillow. A HUGE PILLOW. I wanted it to be used as a floor pillow and then to be stored away when not in use. Hung up. Like hanging up a jacket.

It is made with a simple Log Cabin design for the front. And a lot of fussy cutting.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I quilted it with a wide stippling stitch for a larger footprint. Quick and easy.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The back was easy too. Fold-over envelope style lined with white flannel.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Just straight lines to hold the “sandwiching” together. And to form a path for the snaps to be aligned straight.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The challenge (always a challenge somewhere) was adding the side strips which would hold the cord for hanging.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

First, I broke two needles trying to sew through the strips (which had iron on interfacing) plus the bulk of the top and bottom of the pillow. OK, regroup. Start over. Only put interfacing on half of the strip. That worked. Moving on.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Next, tried different cord materials. Macrame cord, unlined fabric. Not the effect I wanted. Ended up recycling the cord from the toss pillows I saved from the dumpster. Worked fantastic. I covered it “coiled fabric” style.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

When adding the covered cord through the side strips, I created four knots in each corner. So pillow could be hung from any side.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

And wouldn’t you know it!! The past few days have been so hot, I about melted on every trip outside. But the day I need sun to take photos, it is hiding behind giant clouds. The best I could do was to use the foyer as a prop. You can see the pillow hanging from the doorknob.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

And later, I found light streaming in from one of the bedroom windows.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Well, there you have it. One Pillow. A week’s worth of pillow making. I love it when I dream up something and it comes out just as I saw it. A complete vision match.

Just about out of my Barbie fabric. More stuff to show you later.