One Quilt Finished And Another Started


Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I finished my Red Hot Chili Peppers Spool Block Quilt. I machine sewed the binding. I am getting used to how a machine sewn binding looks. Flat on the top. But wider looking which I like.

It is larger than the first one. Nine spool blocks for this one.

This is how I made the back.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I was going to be lazy and just do all one fabric but didn’t have one piece large enough. So had to do a pieced back.

And the binding I wanted to use… the white with black speckles… didn’t have enough of that one either. Only had one Fat Quarter left.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

So went with this black with white swirls instead. I think it looks OK. Just the “pop” it needed. Not too much. Just right.

Quilt measures 35″ by 37″. Colors are cranberry, forest green, white and black.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

This is my favorite photo. Stippling. Oh how I love you!!

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

When I am stippling, I feel so free. Free to go left, right, wiggle around. Go whichever direction I want. But always thinking ahead about an exit strategy. Don’t want to be boxed in or cross over any stitches. I flip over the back every few minutes looking for tension issues. So glad I took the time to watch numerous videos on how to stipple.

I love the crinkled look.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

And DONE!!

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

You can read more details on how I made it here.

https://thisyearsdozen.wordpress.com/2011/12/15/my-christmasy-red-hot-chili-peppers-quilt/

Go here for the Freda’s Spool Block tutorial.

http://fredashive.blogspot.com/2010/01/string-spool-tutorial.html


My next project…

Since it took several days to make and finish the Red Hot Peppers quilt, I wanted my next project to be something I didn’t have to “think” about. Or worry about. Just sew. Strip by strip. It is a quilt-as-you-go table runner. I saw the directions somewhere on the net. Have to find the site so I can link to it.

For now, this is where I am.

Fabrics gathered.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Back decided on and sewn along the batting top edge.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

And a few strips sewn and pressed.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The PRESSING is a pain. PITA!! But it is necessary to have a straight seam before adding the next strip. So, I will be Slow and Steady.

Update 12-23-11: Found the site.

http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2010/08/table-runner-tutorial.html

Halloween Quilt Top Is Finished


Finished and ready to quilt.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I sewed on the last black polka dot border around 1am this morning. Took a few photos (in the dark) and headed to get some shut eye.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Though I didn’t exactly have a huge assortment of Halloween fabrics, I made do and worked with what I had.

This will be the back.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

And I will turn this Michael Miller Clown Stripes horizontal and use it for the binding.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I used some of it for the sashing in the middle. I only bought one yard. I think I have enough to go all around for the binding.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Back-To-School Quilt

I am still working through my “old” novelty fabric stash. The fabric on the right with the black background and colorful alphabet letters has been around for years.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I used some of it to make a couple of quick simple purses and had about a yard left. I only recently discovered some of the letters of the alphabet were missing. I couldn’t spell out my name. How weird is that!!

With schools opening soon, the idea of making a Back-to-School quilt seemed like a good idea. A mini quilt or lap quilt for a child. I gathered up several other fabrics and got started cutting out the pieces. Dresden Plate wedges. One of my favorites to work with.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I changed my mind after making this block and decided to go longer.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Added two more wedges to balance it out. 10 wedges per strip.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Here are four strips sewn together with black fabric with tiny white dots for sashing. And also black polka dots. (You knew polka dots would be here somewhere, right? 😀 )

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Let’s see… we have Math, Spelling… how about some Music!!

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Making progress. Two complete sections done.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

When deciding on the final borders Log Cabin style, I really wanted to somehow bring this yellow numerical fabric into the mix. I tried it on the sides. But it stuck out too much. Even consulted my “color expert” (hubby). He has a great eye for color. I looked at him and he was shaking his head. OK. No bright yellow.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

As you can see here, I used my Go-To-Fabric, my beautiful black polka dots. Always handy. I am thinking of buying an entire bolt the next time a JoAnn’s 50% off coupon lands on my doorstep.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

So… the quilt top is finished. And now I have to decide on the fabric for the back, quilt it and add the binding.

Unless I change my mind, this will be the binding.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Right now it measures 42″ by 54″.