Two Hour Mug Rug… Made and Shipped


Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

With my attention focused on jewelry for the last week, I totally forgot I needed to make and send off a mug rug to one of the ladies in my quilt group. I signed up to participate and then tucked the mail out date deep down in my brain.

Only after I had finished my Bead Soup project did I surface to the top to exhale. I realized my error yesterday. I thought the mail off date was March 9, today. It was actually March 1st!! 😦

Boy, did I feel bad, sad. I sucked. All the others had mailed theirs off. I even received a pretty mug rug with shamrocks from the person who had me in the exchange. Got it yesterday.

I hate it when I agree to do something and then don’t. I feel like I let myself down as well as let down the person it was intended for.

So… since I thought the mail out date was today… I got busy and made it.

It took me two hours from start to finish.

These are some of the fabrics I worked with.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

As you can see in the photos, I now have “for real” St Patrick’s Day fabric. Shamrocks!! Two weeks ago I went to JoAnn’s and bought some. Only half yards and Fat Quarters. (I didn’t even need that much.)

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I had been looking at this block and wanted to try it. Fabric folding mostly. It was super easy to make. This is the tutorial I used.

http://spottedstone.blogspot.com/2010/07/cathedral-window-tutorial.html

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I added two quick borders. One in green with swirls and one in black with green shamrocks.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Didn’t bind it. That would have made it the Three Hour Mug Rug. 😀 Just stitched around the seams, turned it inside out and stitched along the outside edges.

Then I did a quick quilting. Just loopy loops. Kind of like the green fabric with whirls.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The shamrock on the back was just something I thought to add at the last minute. It was ironed on using Steam-A-Seam2. I love that stuff!!

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

And done. Now I feel better. Don’t feel like such a loser. It will be late. But better late than never. Hope she likes it. I shipped it off today. Got to the post office with 15 minutes to spare.


Several things I want to mention, in case you plan to make this Cathedral Window block…

  • The 2 1/4″ center square didn’t completely cover the folded square so I recut it and added an extra 1/4″. Otherwise you will see the background fabric after folding up the flaps.
  • I used my zipper foot to stitch down the flaps to make the “windows”. I could see where I was sewing the whole time and that helped keep the stitches straight.
  • I used my walking foot to sew around the seams when sewing my quilt sandwich. I stopped about 1/4″ from each corner before pivoting to the next side. Made the end points nicer on the outside.
  • Going to try this block as a pincushion. Should be cute!!

Wirewrapped Necklace in Green and Copper

Sunday, July 6

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Well, that wasn’t so bad after all. Though my hands DO ache, I guess it was worth it to learn how to work with wire.

My wirewrapping has greatly improved. I know it is probably just my imagination but I get a strange feeling when I start to wrap a loop. It seems the wire gets softer just as I am pulling the first wrap downwards. Then with the next pull, around and toward me, it gets hard again. The first time this happened, I thought it was all in my mind. But it happened again and again. Feels soft one minute and hard the next.

It took 3 days working on this necklace, on and off. I went slow since I wasn’t sure if the wire would do what I wanted. A couple times I had to scrap a section and start over. I did waste some wire but since I am still working with practice wire it was ok.

Necklace was created with wirework and wirewrapping. I used one of my books for inspiration and also used The Coiling Gizmo to create the coiled sections. The sections are connected with jump rings. It measures 28 1/2″.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I used the following supplies to make this necklace:

  • 20 gauge copper colored wire
  • green glass beads in different shapes and sizes
  • 6/0 bronze seed beads
  • antique copper bead caps, clasp and jump rings
  • 4mm copper colored beads