Soldier’s Quilt Top Is Finished And 2 New Umbrella Blocks


Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I finished my Disappearing 9 Patch (D9P) quilt top two days ago but couldn’t get any decent photos on the inside. It was too large for my design wall. And I didn’t like any of the other photos I took in different places around the house. So I decided to take the photos outside yesterday. And wouldn’t you know it. The sun stayed behind the clouds most of the day. These are the best I could get.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

To-date this is the largest quilt top I have ever made. It measures 73 1/2″ by 91″.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

After it is quilted, it will be given to one of our wounded soldiers. Distributed by the American Hero Quilts program. Per their website, quilt top minimum measurements were 63″ by 87. So I hope it is OK that mine is a bit over.

I have really enjoyed working on this project and will be making a second quilt top. Squares are cut. Now I need to decide on a design. Something different. I have a couple patterns in mind. I will work on this next one in between other projects. So it will take longer. But that’s OK. There is always a need.

Go here if you are interested in volunteering your time and talent.

http://www.americanheroquilts.com/


Good news!! I made progress on my Umbrella Blocks Quilt.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

There are now six umbrella blocks. I made two more. Originally I was thinking a wall hanging. I guess it could still go on the wall. It isn’t THAT big. I figure after adding the sashing and border, it will measure around 75″ by 60″.

You know how sometimes you work on something off and on, seems forever!! And then the “dislike” starts to creep in. Well, I am still loving this one.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Even with all the sewing of those little 1 1/2″ squares for the scrappy border.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I am getting better at making sure the seams are even. Makes for an easy trim when the edges line up. At first I wasn’t sure if I was sewing a perfect 1/4″ seam. So when Fran in my Quilt Group posted a link to a test, I thought, HEY, let’s do it. Now I can make sure. I followed the directions, measured and IT WAS PERFECT!! If I say so myself, I have come a long way since first learning to quilt in January 2011.

Want to know if you are sewing perfect 1/4″ seams? Test yourself. Go here. Thanks, Fran!!

http://www.freequiltpatterns.info/video—the-perfect-seam-allowance.htm


This is what I am working on today. Something quick and easy.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Need to get it finished and mailed off today. I can only show you the fabric since the person it is for reads my blog. But I will show you the finished item after she receives it. Sometime this week.

Hope you have a great week. Do something fun… Tell me what your crafty plans are for this week.

Disappearing 9 Patch Quilt And The “Stripes” Ruler


Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

OK, time for an update on the quilt top I am making for American Hero Quilts. The quilt needs to measure 63″ by 87″ and currently I am at 27″ height and 65″ width. So, I still have a ways to go.

Colors are red, white and blue with stars, stripes and dots. And some solids. The quilt block I am using is called D9P. Disappearing 9 Patch.

You start off with nine squares.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Mine are 4″ squares. You sew them together three to each row. And then cut down the center, rotate and cut down the center again. Producing four blocks.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

That’s the basic way to create these D9P blocks. And then you rearrange them however it pleases you.

My design, as you can see in this next photo, has one striped fabric at top left and a different striped fabric at the bottom right.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I had a rough start. I kept sewing the stripes in the wrong direction. My seam ripper got a good workout.

To prevent more of the same, I created an aid out of cardboard. The Stripes Ruler.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Before sewing the blocks together, lay the Stripes Ruler down on top of the striped fabric confirming directionality. This one step saved me hours of redo work. And thread. It works great!! You can see how it works in these next photos.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

This one would have needed the seam ripper. Had I not caught it before sewing.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

After solving the “redo” problem, I moved faster getting the blocks sewn and sashing added.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I figured I need at least six strips of blocks to reach 87″ height. Crosswise, with six blocks and sashing, measures 64″. So, I am about a third finished. The balance of the sewing should go faster… Now that my mistakes are behind me.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Stay tuned. More photos coming up. Thanks for stopping by. 😀


You can read more about my project here….

https://thisyearsdozen.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/sewing-one-for-the-men-and-women-our-soldiers/


Linking to…

http://conniekresin.blogspot.com/2012/07/linky-party-tuesday-21.html

http://sewhappygeek.co.uk/index.php/2012/07/09/manic-monday-linky-party-42/