Whew!! Glad I am finally finished.
It’s been quite a ride. The sides gave me FITS. Many Back-to-Square ones. But it looks like the vision I had before I started.
And speaking of starting…..
I have been obsessed with using up my Barbie fabric. So I decided to make a pillow. A HUGE PILLOW. I wanted it to be used as a floor pillow and then to be stored away when not in use. Hung up. Like hanging up a jacket.
It is made with a simple Log Cabin design for the front. And a lot of fussy cutting.
I quilted it with a wide stippling stitch for a larger footprint. Quick and easy.
The back was easy too. Fold-over envelope style lined with white flannel.
Just straight lines to hold the “sandwiching” together. And to form a path for the snaps to be aligned straight.
The challenge (always a challenge somewhere) was adding the side strips which would hold the cord for hanging.
First, I broke two needles trying to sew through the strips (which had iron on interfacing) plus the bulk of the top and bottom of the pillow. OK, regroup. Start over. Only put interfacing on half of the strip. That worked. Moving on.
Next, tried different cord materials. Macrame cord, unlined fabric. Not the effect I wanted. Ended up recycling the cord from the toss pillows I saved from the dumpster. Worked fantastic. I covered it “coiled fabric” style.
When adding the covered cord through the side strips, I created four knots in each corner. So pillow could be hung from any side.
And wouldn’t you know it!! The past few days have been so hot, I about melted on every trip outside. But the day I need sun to take photos, it is hiding behind giant clouds. The best I could do was to use the foyer as a prop. You can see the pillow hanging from the doorknob.
And later, I found light streaming in from one of the bedroom windows.
Well, there you have it. One Pillow. A week’s worth of pillow making. I love it when I dream up something and it comes out just as I saw it. A complete vision match.
Just about out of my Barbie fabric. More stuff to show you later.