Stairsteps Quilt Top Is Finished AND It’s A Big ‘Un

Image Hosting by

I knew this quilt would be a big one. But dragging on the floor!! 90″ by 78″. I ran out of design wall space.

Sashing was finished a while ago.

Image Hosting by

But the Borders… Let me tell you.

I struggled a bit with the borders trying to make sure they were even on all sides. It took me longer than usual since I added two extra steps. When one side was slightly longer, I sewed a seam using the longest stitch on my machine (5) very close to the edge. That proved to be the equalizer it needed. And THEN I pinned the edges and ran another long-stitch seam connecting the border to the quilt top. As a test to make sure the measurements matched the cut borders. It worked. My sides matched up.

So glad to put this quilt top in the finished column. It looks exactly as I envisioned it would. I started cutting the squares and strips on April 8. Exactly two months ago. Not that I worked on it two whole months. But on and off in between all my various other projects.

Still lots to do though. Not sure yet for the backing. But I am not going to piece one. Will use yardage from my stash. Then have to quilt it. Thinking waving lines going top to bottom. The binding I will use you can see in this photo. Upper right corner. Sort of a striped brick and cream.

Image Hosting by

And then… as luck would have it… I will have my matching pillow after all. I have enough leftover burgundy fabric to use for sashing. I already cut the strips and have the fabric squares in strips. Ready to sew. So happy.

IF it isn’t raining. IF the sun comes out. I will try to take a photo of the entire quilt top outside. So for now, I will leave you with this last image.

It’s A Big ‘Un. 😀

Image Hosting by

You can read more about the making of this quilt top here.

Linking to.