With my attention focused on jewelry for the last week, I totally forgot I needed to make and send off a mug rug to one of the ladies in my quilt group. I signed up to participate and then tucked the mail out date deep down in my brain.
Only after I had finished my Bead Soup project did I surface to the top to exhale. I realized my error yesterday. I thought the mail off date was March 9, today. It was actually March 1st!! 😦
Boy, did I feel bad, sad. I sucked. All the others had mailed theirs off. I even received a pretty mug rug with shamrocks from the person who had me in the exchange. Got it yesterday.
I hate it when I agree to do something and then don’t. I feel like I let myself down as well as let down the person it was intended for.
So… since I thought the mail out date was today… I got busy and made it.
It took me two hours from start to finish.
These are some of the fabrics I worked with.
As you can see in the photos, I now have “for real” St Patrick’s Day fabric. Shamrocks!! Two weeks ago I went to JoAnn’s and bought some. Only half yards and Fat Quarters. (I didn’t even need that much.)
I had been looking at this block and wanted to try it. Fabric folding mostly. It was super easy to make. This is the tutorial I used.
I added two quick borders. One in green with swirls and one in black with green shamrocks.
Didn’t bind it. That would have made it the Three Hour Mug Rug. 😀 Just stitched around the seams, turned it inside out and stitched along the outside edges.
Then I did a quick quilting. Just loopy loops. Kind of like the green fabric with whirls.
The shamrock on the back was just something I thought to add at the last minute. It was ironed on using Steam-A-Seam2. I love that stuff!!
And done. Now I feel better. Don’t feel like such a loser. It will be late. But better late than never. Hope she likes it. I shipped it off today. Got to the post office with 15 minutes to spare.
Several things I want to mention, in case you plan to make this Cathedral Window block…
- The 2 1/4″ center square didn’t completely cover the folded square so I recut it and added an extra 1/4″. Otherwise you will see the background fabric after folding up the flaps.
- I used my zipper foot to stitch down the flaps to make the “windows”. I could see where I was sewing the whole time and that helped keep the stitches straight.
- I used my walking foot to sew around the seams when sewing my quilt sandwich. I stopped about 1/4″ from each corner before pivoting to the next side. Made the end points nicer on the outside.
- Going to try this block as a pincushion. Should be cute!!