I made myself a promise the other day.
Only sew projects that fit inside the throat area of my sewing machine.
Anything larger and my stress level shoots off the chart. My panic button gets pushed so often, it is completely worn out. Sewing is supposed to be fun. Relaxing. Not stressful.
I had dreaded starting on this quilt top.
I knew I would be up to Excedrin #999 by the time I finished. And oh yes, did I ever struggle. It is only 54″ by 54″ but I had to push, pull, tug and cuss. Even with my quilting gloves with the grippers. (Cussing helped some. :D )
But… the quilting part is FINALLY FINISHED!! I worked on it off and on for a week.
If you look closely you will see that I appliqued the Dresden Plate wedges and centers by machine to the center of each 9 square block.
Then sewed straight lines around each 9 square block. Next I stippled around the wedges keeping the stitches within each block and not overflowing to the next. My plan was to do loops inside the ivory border but decided to leave it as is. Then I stippled the brown polka dot border.
Last step. I still have to sew on the binding.
I am totally happy with how it looks thus far. I have it hanging in my newly organized “closet” for me to admire.
Here’s the back.
Notice my fabric stash. My reorg is looking great, eh? By color. I have little piles of each. Except for those fabrics with really busy prints in numerous colors.
They got pushed into several Catch-All groupings.
My charm packs are stored here in these fabric cubes.
The whole reorg thing is still a works-in-progress. Slowly it is coming together like I want. Hopefully seeing all the neatness will inspire me to create more.
Three more quilt tops to go. All larger than this one. :( All made months ago. :( The brown and cream Log Cabin one, the purple and lavender Stair Steps one and the blue jeans quilt.
Got to catch up. And then I will keep reminding myself of the promise I made. If I can’t machine quilt it stressfree, don’t make it.
You can read about the making of this quilt here.