The Doll Days of August

Making quilts for dolls is a lot of fun. I get to experiment with colors and also use up some of those “cut but didn’t work” pieces from other projects.

These were made from the pink/purple scrap bin. Even used some of my Dresden Plate leftovers. Toss in some lace and you get what I am calling the Ball and Chain Series.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The Pillow.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

So far I have five finished. Here are front and back photos. Twice the fun.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

And now some close-up’s.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

You are probably wondering why I named them Ball and Chain. This little ball and chain keeps the pillow matched up with the quilt.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Next, I moved on to Zebras. Zebra fabric. I really love this fabric.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I added the lace and different color fabric trim. Matching pillow, of course.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I used the black and white zebra fabric for the back. Cuteness overload.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com


Then I made this quilt I call the Red Flower quilt. I fussy cut the flower for the center.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Used Michael Miller Clown Stripes as my starting Log Cabin border.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Not only did I fussy cut the red flower but I also “fussy sewed” to line up the stripes.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Then added my favorite polka dots.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Quilting was done with a fast simple meandering stipple design.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I knew I wanted to add lace and ribbon. Selected this double sided lace from my lace stash. Been there for YEARS. Happy to use some of it.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Binding was done with the red and black floral fabric. I had hoped to fussy cut more of the red but this was the best I could get.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

This photo shows the fabric I used for the back. Didn’t want to go all wild with a lot of different fabrics. The front is busy enough. 😀

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Red Flower quilt measures 24″ by 24″. Perfect for 18″ dolls and could also be used for a new baby.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Hope you have enjoyed my Doll Days of August.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com


My Back-To-School quilt is finished. Working on the pillow. Photos soon, maybe tomorrow.