The last time you saw this was when I was making my table runner. Using these same fabrics. In my mind I could see “clutch” and I was carrying it under my arm.
That vision stayed with me all through finishing up the table runner. I was thinking ahead. How many pockets? Sew through to the bottom layer? Or do all the sewing on the inside layer? Quilt top and bottom? How to combine the top to the bottom? Bias binding?
I had a lot of decisions to make.
I started off the same as when making the table runner. Same design. Though different placement of the fabrics. I was working with the last of the batch. And had to make do.
I wanted the clutch to be sturdy, not flimsy and thin. So I quilted both sides.
It took about a week for me to chew on how to proceed. All those questions I had asked myself. I couldn’t sew the top to the bottom until I decided.
Made the pocket first. Actually a double pocket I lined with interfacing.
Next went on the magnetic closure. More Pellon. The thick kind.
Only then could I sew the top to the bottom. I was feeling great about then. The end was coming into view.
Another decision. How to form the clutch? That took a couple days of trying out different widths of binding. Single fabric. Folded fabric. Machine sew. Hand sew.
I went with a 3″ bias binding. Folded in half. Machine sewn on the bottom. Hand sewn on the top. The sides were kind of tricky. I made a sandwich with the bias binding, sewed them together and then opened them up to hand sew along the edges.
The wine broach-like pin on the front came from JoAnn’s Drapery Department. I saw it and loved it. Looks so much better than the buttons I had planned to use.
It’s a nice sized bag and measures 14″ by 10″. It can hold a little.
Or a lot.
Now I have to decide. List it on Etsy. Or keep it. I found one shirt in my closet I can wear with it.