At first, I was throwing away my batting scraps. Now, how stupid is that!! If you quilt, then you know I was throwing out big bucks. That stuff is NOT CHEAP, is it?
So… I got a huge plastic bag with a drawstring on top and started accumulating scrap batting pieces. Large and small. Any size.
Some with the fabric still attached. I kept it all. Once when I needed a small piece of fabric to finish a project, I ended up digging around in there looking for a match. And found it!!
Those scraps come in handy. Real handy.
I was making a little mattress for a doll bed and immediately thought of the batting scraps. But first I had to “clean” them up.
Even though the scraps would be enclosed and not seen, I still wanted to pick off the threads and pull off any fabric that I could. Took an hour but I am glad I did it. They look nice and clean.
I started off sewing the “mattress” just as you would make a little pillow case.
Next, I inserted two long strips of really thick Pellon. To form the sides of my “mattress.” And then stuffed it with most of the batting scraps.
I decided to make the top part into a pillow. An attached pillow.
And stuffed the pillow part with the remaining batting scraps.
I think it turned out cute. My little mattress and pillow. The fabric looks like mattress ticking. But it is a queen size flat sheet I got at the Salvation Army Thrift Store for $5.99. It will make up lots of stuff. I think I got a real deal.
Hubby saw me working on it and shook his head. I know what he was thinking. 66 years old and playing with dolls!! 😀
I will show you tomorrow why I made this. 😀