You saw a peek at my new pillow cover in my last post. Actually there are two of them.
A large one and a smaller one.
And guess what?? Surprise!! Surprise!! No quilting. You know I thought about it. But knowing quilting would shrink the fabric a bit and I had already decided on the pillow forms, I didn’t want to take a chance everything wouldn’t all fit together. So… no quilting. (I am as shocked as you!! :D )
I made the smaller one first by scraping together several plum fabrics left over from my little girl purses days a few years ago. Then I added lime and burgundy prints.
The lining is an avocado solid cotton I bought YEARS ago. I don’t use solids much so decided it would be the perfect way to use some of it.
My original plan was to sew different sizes of rectangles. But after seeing the strips lined up, I decided to go with long strips instead. I made the fabric piece wide enough for the ends to overlap and completely cover the pillow form.
After deciding how much to overlap the folds, I got to sewing.
The FRONT. Envelope completed.
Here’s what the inside fold looks like.
Ready for the buttons. I rarely use buttons. But since I have about 1,000, it was time to use some of them. Used floss to sew them on.
They are just decoration. They don’t connect anything. Just sit and look pretty!!
Going for a finished look, I sewed buttons on the backside of the larger buttons. I thought seeing just thread there would look tacky.
Well, there you have it…. HOW I MADE A STRIPED PILLOW COVER.
The larger pillow cover was made with the same steps as the smaller one. With one exception. The buttons for this one actually DO do something. They close up the envelope flap.
I made loops out of one of the plum prints and filled it with cord as I sewed the sides together. To give them a fuller, rounded look.
Hope you have enjoyed seeing my new pillow covers. I have others in the works.