I had enough fabric to make six Dresden Plates in the browns, beige and burnt orange. And for a couple of them, that meant rummaging through my scrap bin. But six it is.
Most Dresden Plates use 20 wedges. I am only using 16 for these. The plate measures 12 1/4″ diameter. Originally had more but it made up a bit larger than I wanted.
Now I have to decide on the border. Or borders. I think I like this arrangement. But won’t know for sure until I put it up on my design wall. I want to sew on the borders first before I hand stitch the plates to the fabric. Just to be sure I have them positioned correctly.
My plan was to make two Dresden Plates using mostly leftover pieces from my first quilt and make a small wall hanging. But then I had enough to make a 3rd, then a 4th. And so on. That is how I ended up with 6 of them. Though not enough to make a quilt, I could end up with a nice throw for the back of a sofa. Or even a table covering. At bit too large for a table mat but I will find somewhere to put it.
It is fun sewing these plates. I have perfected how to get crisp sharp pointed tips. I use my tweezers that came with my sewing machine. I hold the sewn end with my left hand, and very carefully go into the fold with the tweezers. On the right side first, then the left. Going slow and careful not to poke through the tip. I smile every time that last tiny end pushes out. Perfect tips!!
I made a plate in black and green. Have to take pictures. Next, I am going to experiment with different size wedges and designs to see what I can come up with.
(Phsst… notice anything about my table. It is all cleared off!! Ready to quilt my tops.)