Quilting sure has been giving me a spanking the last few days and I haven’t even been bad!! 😀
Here are more tips I have added to my Quilting Tip List.
7. When selecting thread to sew quilt blocks, resist the urge to go all matchy, matchy. Use a neutral color such as white, beige or gray. Dark thread on dark fabric requires magnifier glasses to rip out stitches.
8. When using Fat Quarters, buy at least two of the same fabric. You never know when you may need to cut a piece horizontal or vertical. Or recut a piece cause you goofed up.
9. Before cutting out your blocks, test the fabric. Iron it to see if it buckles and creates waves. Pull on it to see if it stretches out of shape easily. If using spray adhesive, test to see if the fabric stretches out of shape when you remove the template.
10. Recheck your cut quilt block pieces before sewing. Fit them on top of the template. If you cut them when you were tired, some of the pieces may be wonky.
11. If after several tries and no matter what you do, you still can’t get the seams to line up, hand tack first.
12. If you have a specific layout that you have worked on for hours, even days, make sure to take a photo of EACH block. Then you won’t have to try to remember where each piece is supposed to go.
13. Three words for success. Measure, measure, measure. Measure every step of the way. The partial blocks. The pieces inside the blocks. The entire block. Everything. Jot down these measurements. And use them as a guide for each subsequent block.
14. Press. Not IRON. Or you risk stretching your cut pieces.
15. Look for directionality markings on the templates. Ignoring such markings will require a lot of recutting of the fabric pieces. Or worst case, doing major surgery as you sew the pieces together.
16. It’s OK to have a flaw in your quilt. It’s OK to have a flaw in your quilt. It’s OK to have a flaw in your quilt. It’s OK to have a flaw in your quilt. It’s OK to have a flaw in your quilt. It’s OK to have a flaw in your quilt. It’s OK to have a flaw in your quilt.
How do I know all this stuff? Because they all happened to ME!! 😀