Wow!! Moving right along. And having some fun at the same time.
Nothing feels better than seeing how pretty something looks after struggling with it. A couple of these squares made me want to curse. I ripped out one square twice to start over. Not because I couldn’t figure it out. But because hubby wanted to chat. I used to be good at multi-tasking. I guess that skill left me when I retired from the 9-to-5 J O B.
Anyhoo, I was able to finish five more squares.
Was supposed to be 4″. Even using Hook G (my favorite), I still ended up with 5 1/4″. But I liked it enough to make THREE of them. Once finished with all 101 squares, I may swing back to this one and make a scarf. Or an afghan.
- used Lion Brand, Vanna’s Choice acrylic yarn
- colors: brick and brown (Espresso)
- hook G
- measures 5 1/4″ by 5″
- cluster stitch
I stayed true to the pattern except for one small change. In the middle, on all sides, I made a hdc instead of a sc. I wanted the sides to not pull in.
This square I started to hate about 15 minutes in. It started to ruffle and pull in. I was not happy but kept going. You can’t tell it from these photos but the square would not lie flat. I had to tug on it.
You can see the curling in these next pictures. And my tension is normal. Not too tight and not too loose.
I made a second square just to see if I could improve on it and try to get it to lie flat. And I did!! I added some extra stitches to the beginning round.
Problem solved. I like this square and may make more.
This square starts off good. No problems. I liked it.
Here’s where I stopped liking it. The open spaces around the edges are TOO open. It makes the square feel flimsy.
It curled badly around the edges. I will block it and try to make it square. Won’t be making this one again, unless I stop at Round 4. Or finish the last rounds with all double crochet for a filled look. I do like the cluster stitches in the center.
This next square, I have plans for. I love the flower and will make more of them. The only change I made was when doing the corners in the last round, I made them with dc, tr, dc. Instead of all dc’s. I tried it with all double crochets but it had a rounded look. The triple in the middle made it more square.
I only took a couple photos. The colors (gray/black/white) weren’t coming out that great.
This next square is the one I had to do over several times. I can’t seem to count stitches and chat with hubby at the same time. When I got to almost the end, I was missing a few stitches. Ripped it out. And the same thing happened a second time. Took a rest break before continuing.
Only a couple photos for this square too. Black is hard to photograph.
Oh, I forgot to tell you. This square is made all in the back loops. I like the design. Don’t know if I will make more though. Very time consuming to only go into one half of the stitch for the entire square.
So… that does it for now. Back to my book. BTW, if anyone wants to make these squares and follow along with me, the book is called 101 Crochet Squares by Jean Leinhauser.
Note: Lion Brand, Vanna’s Choice, acrylic yarn used. Hook G.