Can You Stand One More Bird? :)


Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Well, two more. And one more pincushion. Now that March is here, I need to catch you up on what I made in February that I haven’t shown you.

Sorry, but I DO LOVE making these. So addicting.

AND I have some tips to share with you on making these birds, in case you plan to make a few.  And then I will get on with the other stuff you see in the photo.

Making Birds Tip 1: Reinforce the beak section with a patch of batting. When you turn the fabric inside out, you will only need to add a tiny bit of stuffing.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Making Birds Tip 2: This tip is from my husband. Use a thin pencil with an eraser on the end to push a tiny bit of stuffing into the beak. It worked well for me. He saw me struggling to fill the space. (Which is the real reason I decided to add a bit of batting first.)

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Making Birds Tip 3: Don’t overstuff the neck area. Won’t topple over as much.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

OK, I am done making birds. You can take up where I left off. Have fun making them.


Now let me show you the rest of my “Bird and Pincushion” project. :D

I recycled this DVD box with zebra duct tape and made a carrying box for my two new birds.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Then I duct taped these quilting pins. Just to be different.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.comImage Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Here they are stuck in my new Cathedral Window pincushion which I also love making.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Sigh!! Got to move on. Can’t keep making the same old stuff. Can’t keep showing you the same old stuff, even though in different colors.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Time to move on to something else. Next!!


Friday Linky Parties. Check them out!!

http://www.confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com/2012/03/can-i-get-whoop-whoop-busy-week.html

http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2012/03/finish-it-up-friday-week-17.html

I Am Seriously Thinking About Starting a Doll Line


Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Doll Quilt, mattress, pillow and rug.

I got so much satisfaction making this little set, that I am seriously thinking about starting my own line of doll products.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The tops of the quilt, pillow and rug were made all from my black and white scraps.

I used my stash fabric for the sashing, backing and the decorative bubbles. Mattress was made from one Fat Quarter and filled with batting scraps.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Guess what I used as the doll bed? I think this is/was a wine rack. Found it at the Salvation Army Thrift Store for 2.99. Love it!!

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I so wanted to start on a second set like this in a different color but resisted. I need to work on some of my already thought about projects. But I will swing back to this set later and make more.

I could call this set Bubbles. I thought about Target but that is already taken. The circles with double layers look like daisies.

What do you think? Are you good at naming stuff? :D

The Doll Days of August

Making quilts for dolls is a lot of fun. I get to experiment with colors and also use up some of those “cut but didn’t work” pieces from other projects.

These were made from the pink/purple scrap bin. Even used some of my Dresden Plate leftovers. Toss in some lace and you get what I am calling the Ball and Chain Series.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The Pillow.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

So far I have five finished. Here are front and back photos. Twice the fun.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

And now some close-up’s.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

You are probably wondering why I named them Ball and Chain. This little ball and chain keeps the pillow matched up with the quilt.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Next, I moved on to Zebras. Zebra fabric. I really love this fabric.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I added the lace and different color fabric trim. Matching pillow, of course.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I used the black and white zebra fabric for the back. Cuteness overload.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com


Then I made this quilt I call the Red Flower quilt. I fussy cut the flower for the center.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Used Michael Miller Clown Stripes as my starting Log Cabin border.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Not only did I fussy cut the red flower but I also “fussy sewed” to line up the stripes.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Then added my favorite polka dots.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Quilting was done with a fast simple meandering stipple design.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I knew I wanted to add lace and ribbon. Selected this double sided lace from my lace stash. Been there for YEARS. Happy to use some of it.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Binding was done with the red and black floral fabric. I had hoped to fussy cut more of the red but this was the best I could get.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

This photo shows the fabric I used for the back. Didn’t want to go all wild with a lot of different fabrics. The front is busy enough. :D

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Red Flower quilt measures 24″ by 24″. Perfect for 18″ dolls and could also be used for a new baby.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Hope you have enjoyed my Doll Days of August.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com


My Back-To-School quilt is finished. Working on the pillow. Photos soon, maybe tomorrow.