I finished my umbrella quilt top last night. I think I made the left and right side borders too wide so I am going to cut them down from 8″ to 4 1/2″. Right now quilt top measures 86″ by 62″.
I didn’t want the rick-rack to curl when washed so I hand stitched the edges down. This took forever.
I was watching Flashpoint Season 2 on DVD. I went through four episodes. I HATE hand sewing!!
There is still more work to be done. The back to make. Not sure what I want. I would LOVE to make one or two huge umbrella blocks but do not think I have enough purple prints to pull it off.
One other idea I have swirling around in my brain is to do really wide strips of the dark purple with the purple fabrics I have left. What to do??
And the binding. At first I didn’t think these would work. These three batik Fat Quarters. I want a scrappy look so I am seriously thinking about using them.
I like my binding to be 3-3 1/2″ wide so if I cut 3″ strips, I can get seven from each FQ. Don’t think I will need that many. I’ll do a test run all around the quilt first before cutting. I could even use the batik leftovers for the back.
I am dying to start a new project… but I will keep plugging away at this until it is completely finished. Or at least until all the sewing is done. Then I will think about how to quilt it. I am thinking echo around the umbrella strips, straight lines in the sashing and stippling in the borders.
Got lots of new fabric, new books and a new ruler to show you. Later on. :D