OK, time for an update on the quilt top I am making for American Hero Quilts. The quilt needs to measure 63″ by 87″ and currently I am at 27″ height and 65″ width. So, I still have a ways to go.
Colors are red, white and blue with stars, stripes and dots. And some solids. The quilt block I am using is called D9P. Disappearing 9 Patch.
You start off with nine squares.
Mine are 4″ squares. You sew them together three to each row. And then cut down the center, rotate and cut down the center again. Producing four blocks.
That’s the basic way to create these D9P blocks. And then you rearrange them however it pleases you.
My design, as you can see in this next photo, has one striped fabric at top left and a different striped fabric at the bottom right.
I had a rough start. I kept sewing the stripes in the wrong direction. My seam ripper got a good workout.
To prevent more of the same, I created an aid out of cardboard. The Stripes Ruler.
Before sewing the blocks together, lay the Stripes Ruler down on top of the striped fabric confirming directionality. This one step saved me hours of redo work. And thread. It works great!! You can see how it works in these next photos.
This one would have needed the seam ripper. Had I not caught it before sewing.
After solving the “redo” problem, I moved faster getting the blocks sewn and sashing added.
I figured I need at least six strips of blocks to reach 87″ height. Crosswise, with six blocks and sashing, measures 64″. So, I am about a third finished. The balance of the sewing should go faster… Now that my mistakes are behind me.
Stay tuned. More photos coming up. Thanks for stopping by. :D
You can read more about my project here….