I am so glad I decided to make a test star first. I knew I would probably make lots of mistakes. And boy, did I.
Well, let me tell you all about it.
Here are the test fabrics. I only had a wee bit of the first two. So I needed to be extra careful cutting them.
Cutting first fabric. Going good. Rotary Cutter cooperating. Except I am not pressing down hard enough for a clean cut. Having to reswipe several times.
FIRST MISTAKE. Making Little Party Hats. I could have sworn the instructions said to fold the squares this way. I couldn’t figure out why they didn’t turn out like the pattern photos. Duh!!
Ok. Back on track. Reironed. Folded correctly.
Assembling Round 1 fabrics. I am using my macrame board (ceiling tile) to mount the pieces so I can get an idea on what I am supposed to do.
Here’s my cotton fabric with placement lines.
I decided to add a small piece of the first fabric in the middle so no white could peek through.
And Round 1 is finished. Going great so far.
On to Round 2. A pretty purple and fuchsia floral. No problems.
Round 3 and another CRS Senior moment. Wouldn’t you know it. I cut the solid purple fabric wrong. The fabric I only had a teensy bit of. I cut 7″ by 6″ instead of 7″ square. Not enough left to cut eight 7″ squares. :(
Had to go find something else. Decided on this cream color. The floral pattern has some cream in it.
This is NOT the look I had in mind. But I keep going anyway. After all, this IS just my Test Star. No biggie.
Last Round. Round 4. A dotted fabric.
I’ll be back tomorrow to show you the finished star. It still needs to be sewn together and a binding added. It is just pinned to my macrame board. And I think I am going to swap the darker purple print in the center with something brighter.